1. Where did you grow up?
I grew up in the city of Goettingen in Germany.
2. Are you from a musical family?
Yes – but not a family of performers. Both my parents are very good violin players and my mother is a violin teacher, but our family didn’t have any tradition of performing classical musicians.
3. What attracted you to the piano/can you play any other instruments?
There was always a piano in our house, since I was born, and it was like a big and exciting toy for me. Taking lessons when I was old enough was a very natural thing. I also learned to play the cello later, but I don’t really do it any more.
4. What age were you when you started to play the piano?
I was five years old when I had my first “official” lesson, but I played randomly and just for fun a long time before that.
5. How do you deal with the pressure and being on stage?
Concentration on myself and on the music I have to play is the best thing to do in that situation…
6. What is an ordinary day like for you?
I usually spend my day with a lot of office work and communication…whenever possible I try to spend some time with friends. My work at the piano mostly takes place in the evening and at night, at least when I’m not traveling.
7. Any thoughts on classical music?
How much time do we have…? Way too many to write down in a few sentences.
8. What type of music do you listen to?
I usually listen to a lot of classical and contemporary music written between 1500 and today. Sometimes I am in the mood for jazz or Latin American music.
9. Favorite composer or piece?
Many…if I have to pick just one composer, it would be Ludwig van Beethoven.
10. Favorite restaurant(s)?
Nobody in the US would know my favourite restaurant in my hometown…but I have been to a few great steak houses in the US….I can’t mention just one which was outstanding.
12. Favorite season?
13. Favorite vacation destination?
So far it has been South America, but this might change – there are many places which I have not seen yet.
14. Where would someone find you on a Saturday afternoon?
It could be any place, or probably traveling – the weekend doesn’t really make a difference…
– Alexander Schimpf